Want to get involved with REading Hydro?
become a member of reading Hydro
Joining our Community Benefit Society is easy – simply contact us, putting ‘membership’ in the subject headline. It costs £1 to become a member and this enables you to stay in the loop with what we’re doing, as well as have a say in how the Society is operated through voting at our AGMs
Volunteer to help run our society and our hydro scheme
Our work has changed since the hydro plant started operating. We’ve divided up roles to spread the workload, and we need new volunteers. Does one of the roles below sound like you? If so please contact us putting ‘volunteer’ in the subject headline. And don’t be put off if you couldn’t cover all the tasks in a role description.
- Compliance lead – to ensure we comply with our licence conditions, the conditions of our FiT accreditation, insurance policy and any instructions provided by the Environment Agency or our equipment supplier. Role description
- Health & Safety lead – to ensure we comply with H&S legislation, have appropriate controls in place to minimise the risk of harm being caused to volunteers and members of the public, and to maintain our H&S manual. Role description
- Risk management lead – to help us identify risks to the operation of the hydro plant and our business and develop mitigation strategies, and to maintain the Risk Register. Role description
- Insurance – to ensure that Reading Hydro maintains appropriate insurance cover and to advise on whether any new activities to be undertaken are insured. Role description
People and administration team
- Director/team leader – to maintain the supportive culture of Reading Hydro, and to ensure that volunteers are recruited and supported, and concerns are followed up. Has responsibility for other volunteers in the People and administration team. Role description coming soon
- Recruitment coordinator – to help identify volunteer needs and prepare role descriptions, make sure that all volunteer paperwork is completed and filed appropriately. Role description coming soon
- Volunteer coordinator – to respond to offers of volunteer help, make sure new volunteers are integrated in the Reading Hydro team, and respond to queries from volunteers. Role description coming soon
- Membership coordinator – to process membership applications and handle queries from existing members. Role description coming soon
communications and Education team
- Visits coordinator – someone to organise visits to the Reading Hydro site, including arrangements with groups and individuals, organising and briefing visit hosts, filing H&S agreements. Role description coming soon
- Teachers and others with education experience – to help develop, review and deliver our education programme.
Operations and maintenance team
- Clearance leads and assistants – to stop debris from blocking the inlets to the turbines through both scheduled and emergency clearing – ideally volunteers who live or work near the site.